- What causes Earthquakes?
- How the ground shakes?
- What are magnitude and intensity?
- What are seismic zones of India?
- What are the Seismic Effects on Structures?
- How architectural features affect Buildings during Earthquakes?
- How buildings twist during earthquakes
- What is the Seismic design philosophy for buildings?
- How to make buildings ductile for good Seismic Performance?
- How flexibility of Buildings affects their Earthquake response?
- What are Indian Seismic Codes?
- How do brick masonry houses behave during earthquakes?
- Why should masonry buildings have simple structures?
- Why are horizontal bands necessary in masonry buidings?
- Why is vertical reinforcement required in masonry buildings?
- How to make stone masonry buildings earthquake resistant?
- How do earthquakes affect reinforced concrete buildings?
- How do beams in RC buildings resist earthquakes?
- How do columns in RC buildings resist earthquakes?
- How do Beam Column joints in RC buildings resist earthquakes?
- Why are open-ground storey buildings vulnerable in earthquakes?
- Why are buildings with shear walls preferred in Seismic regions?
- How to reduce earthquake effects on buildings?
- Reproduced with due acknowledgements from:
- Department of Civil Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
Kanpur - 208016
Building Materials and Technology Promotion Council
- Ministy of Urban Development and Poverty Alleviation
- Government of India
- Core-5A, 1st Floor, India Habitat Centre,
- Lodhi Road, New Delhi - 110 003
- Authored by CVR Murty, IIT Kanpur
- Sponsored by BMTPC, New Delhi
This release is a property of IIT Kanpur and BMTPC New Delhi. It may be reproduced without changing its contents and with due acknowledgement. Suggestions may be sent to email@example.com. Visit www.nicee.org or www.bmtpc.org to see all IITK-BMTPC Earthquake tips